|For meetings from 2004 – 2017, see Past Meetings here.
For more information on meetings, contact email@example.com
February 9, 2018:
Tailgate: Pruning Workshop
with Ken Swegles, Coastal Range Vineyard Management
at Branciforte Creek Vineyard
Ken Swegles will lead a tailgate on pruning, including cane, cordon, hybrid, pruning for Eutypa (and other trunk diseases).
February 20, 2018
UC Davis Comes to the Santa Cruz Mountains with a Program on Vine Health
We have been working with UC Davis on a program of viticulture topics pertinent especially to our region. Speakers from UCD will be coming to the Santa Cruz Mountains. We are fortunate to be able to benefit from their expertise right here at home.
We are also very fortunate to hear from Doug Gubler, who is an expert in vine trunk disease and who recently retired from UCD, but who is coming to talk to us.
This program is for all growers in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and all winemakers to learn more about some of the issues in our vineyards. The topics on diseases will include prevention and mitigation. The effect of disease and viticulture practices on phenolics are included.
The program and speakers include:
- Doug Gubler, UCCE Extension Plant Pathologist Emeritus, Dept. of Plant Pathology, UC Davis: Vine Trunk Disease Control: 30+ Years of Research and Experience
- Dario Cantu, Associate Professor and Louis P. Martini Endowed Chair in Viticulture, Dept. of Viticulture and Enology, UC Davis: — Next Generation Research & Diagnostics in Trunk Diseases (Cantu is head of the Cantu Lab at UCD researching powdery mildew, vine trunk diseases, etc.)
- Larry Bettiga, Viticulture Farm Advisor, UCCE Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties: Update on Mealy Bug Incidence and Remediation in the Santa Cruz Mountains. VMB is more prevalent in our region than we realize, and extends from Watsonville to Woodside.
- Anita Oberholster, UCCE Extension Specialist, Enology, Dept. of Viticulture and Enology, UC Davis: Effect of Red Blotch Disease on Grape and Wine Composition. Red Blotch is here, too.
- David Block, Professor and Department Chair, Dept. of Viticulture and Enology and Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, UC Davis. Optimizing Phenolic Extraction in red wines: from the winery to the lab and back.
Date & Time: Tuesday, Feb. 20, 9:00am-1:00pm, including lunch.
Location: UC Santa Cruz, Alumni Room, University Center (parking details will be provided)
Cost & Registration: $30. Register here.
DPR credits: 2